French publication L’Equipe have published their annual list of the current highest paid players and coaches in world football.
Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo are top of the players’ list, which won’t come as a huge shock.
However, it may surprise football fans to discover that Messi currently earns almost twice as much as Ronaldo.
The Barcelona legend, who is reportedly considering his future at Camp Nou after publicly calling out sporting director Eric Abidal, earns a whopping €8.3 million gross per month.
Ronaldo, on the other hand, earns €4.5 million gross per month.
- Ighalo 'blows away' performance coach in training
- 17 players Sir Alex Ferguson was wrong about
- The most PL Manager of the Month awards ever
Here are the highest-paid players in the world, according to L’Equipe and brought to our attention by Spanish newspaper Marca…
8. Kylian Mbappe | €1.9m gross per month
7. Eden Hazard | €2.5m gross per month
6. Gareth Bale | €2.5m gross per month
5. Luis Suarez | Just under €3m gross per month
4. Antoine Griezmann | Just under €3m gross per month
3. Neymar | €3m gross per month
2. Cristiano Ronaldo | €4.5m gross per month
1. Lionel Messi | €8.3m gross per month
As you can see, Messi is by far and away the highest-paid footballer on the planet right now - and deservedly so, many would say.
Neymar and Mbappe both make the top eight and L’Equipe have also revealed that the 10 highest-paid players in Ligue 1 are all Paris Saint-Germain players…
Over in the Premier League, meanwhile, Manchester United goalkeeper David de Gea is the Premier League’s highest-paid player on €1.76 million gross per month, followed by Arsenal’s Mesut Ozil (€1.64m gross per month), Manchester City duo Kevin De Bruyne (€1.64m gross per month) and Raheem Sterling (€1.4m gross per month) and Paul Pogba (€1.36m gross per month).
However, no player is earning as much as Man City head coach Pep Guardiola, who earns €1.94 million gross per month. No wonder he has no intention of walking away from the Etihad Stadium…
Guardiola is followed by Jose Mourinho (€1.46 million gross per month), and Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp who earns the same amount as Tottenham’s manager.
But Guardiola is not the world’s highest-paid manager.
That honour falls, unexpectedly, to Atletico Madrid boss Diego Simeone, who earns an eye-watering €3.6 million gross per month. That’s even more money than Neymar takes home!
Here’s the top six…
6. Antonio Conte | €1.38m gross per month
5. Zinedine Zidane | €1.4m gross per month
4. Jurgen Klopp | €1.46m gross per month
3. Jose Mourinho | €1.46m gross per month
2. Pep Guardiola | €1.94m gross per month
1. Diego Simeone | | €3.6m gross per month
It’s probably time for Klopp to ask Liverpool for another pay rise…News Now - Sport News