After all the positive headlines Liverpool have made on the pitch this season, they’ve hit front and back pages in recent days for all the wrong reasons.
The club took the decision to furlough their matchday staff, relying on the government to pay 80% of their wages, while the club paid the remaining 20%.
For one of the richest clubs in world football, relying on the taxpayer’s money to pay their wages seems totally wrong.
It led to widespread criticism with celebrity Piers Morgan calling the decision 'astonishingly stupid.’ Jamie Carragher also expressed his dismay.
Liverpool have since reversed that decision after the backlash.
Credit to them for doing so but many will criticise them for their actions n the first place.
Liverpool have also made headlines over in Spain for another questionable decision.
Allowing thousands of Atletico Madrid fans to travel to Merseyside for their Champions League clash on March 11 was certainly questionable but, sensible, some Spaniards decided not to travel due to coronavirus fears.
Madrid was Spain’s epicentre of the crisis at the time and 290 supporters decided not to fly to England despite purchasing a ticket for the second leg.
According to Spanish outlet AS, Atleti asked Liverpool to refund the €17,000 to those 290 fans but Liverpool have refused.
It’s a relatively small amount that the Reds could easily have afforded.
Instead, it was left for Atleti to foot the bill.
The Spanish side will just be hoping their 3-2 victory doesn’t go to waste with both the Europa League and Champions League looking increasingly likely to be cancelled due to the coronavirus pandemic.
- FIFA to extend the 2019/20 football season indefinitely
- Liverpool FC supporter creates online petition to stop the club claiming furlough relief
- Manchester City become first Premier League club to confirm they won't furlough staff