Formula 1 CEO Stefano Domenicali has offered an update on the future of Sprint in the sport, following the second edition of it at the Italian Grand Prix last weekend.
The latest round of this season provided superb drama as Max Verstappen and Lewis Hamilton retired from the race after a collision, whilst McLaren returned to the top step of the podium for the first time since 2012 as Daniel Ricciardo brought the victory home.
Indeed, that result was partly thanks to the Sprint the day prior with the Aussie finishing third and getting on the front row for Sunday's Grand Prix after Valtteri Bottas' engine penalty had been enforced.
In fairness, the Sprint itself was perhaps a little less entertaining than the one we got at Silverstone but it did still help generate extra excitement over the course of the weekend and also set-up Sunday's Grand Prix beautifully well, a positive that Domenicali was eager to focus on:
“As I always said, we are happy because things are progressing in the right direction,” Domenicali told Channel 4.
“You may argue on the fact that the sprint was not so interesting. But at the end of the day, we had an incredible start, something happened, and you see that there is a McLaren on the front row.
“As we always said we’re going to do the debrief at the end of the third session, that’s going to be in Brazil, and see what type of things that we can bring on. But I think what we are doing is absolutely the right thing.”
The third and final Sprint takes place at Interlagos later this season at the Brazilian Grand Prix - an event that will quite possibly be hugely important in terms of the destinations of the Drivers' and Constructors' titles this year.News Now - Sport News