About Zinedine Zidane
Before Zinedine Zidane transitioned into a head coach, the Marseille-born midfielder earned his reputation as one of the greatest footballers of all time.
Zidane started his career in Ligue 1, where he gained publicity with his performances for Bordeaux. In 1996, he was awarded Ligue 1 Player of the Year, before joining Italian giants Juventus later that year.
In 1998, Zidane won the most prestigious individual award, securing the coveted Ballon d’Or award.
“Zizou” was named in the FIFA World XI four times in his career, three of which were during his spell at Juventus, where he led his club to back-to-back Serie A titles from 1996-1998.
After his time in Turin, Real Madrid broke the world transfer record in 2001, signing him for £69.75 million, a record that stood for eight years.
The French superstar won a La Liga title and Champions League trophy during his time at Madrid, and in 2004, he was named UEFA Best European Player of the Past 50 Years.
Zidane’s international career was just as impressive, scoring a brace in the final as France won the FIFA World Cup in 1998, followed by a European Championship success two years later.
France finished runners-up in the World Cup in 2006, where the midfielder was sent off in the final for a headbutt on Italian defender Marco Materazzi.
Following his retirement, Zidane had two managerial spells in charge of Real Madrid. In 2016 he took over and became the first manager to win three consecutive UEFA Champions League trophies.
Zidane also secured a La Liga title before resigning in May 2018; however, he was re-appointed in March 2019 following a string of poor results.
- Laurel Hubbard: Weightlifter will be first transgender to compete at the Olympics
- Ronaldo and Messi: Laporta reportedly ‘dreaming’ of legends playing together at Barcelona
- Man Utd and Liverpool accused of being 'real founders' of the European Super League
- Real Madrid, Barcelona, Manchester United: What is the most valuable club in world football?
- Euro 2020 day 10: Verratti masterclass, Ampadu makes history & other things you may have missed
- Euro 2020: Mancini showed his class with Sirigu substitution during Italy 1-0 Wales
- Euro 2020: Who could England play in the round of 16?
- Best goal of 2021? Jakob Glesnes scores dramatic equaliser in Phila Union 2-2 Atlanta Utd
- Man United news: Club to offer midfield star huge £400,000-a-week contract
- Cristiano Ronaldo's body transformation between Euro 2004 and Euro 2020 is so impressive